This house, later to be known as the Craig House, was built in 1901 by Mary Carpenter's first husband, William Bayard Craig, at 2700 University Ave. It was the home of Mary Carpenter as well as a meeting place for many campus organizations. When Mary Carpenter returned to Drake for her second term, the house began to be known as the Craig House. When Mary Carpenter left Drake after her second term, the Craig House was turned into a women's dorm.
The concept of an alumni house is not new to Drake University. This photo, at an undetermined location, was taken in 1968 with the Student Alumni Association and Alumni Relations staff.
This is the earliest dated photo we have obtained of the house. It can be found in the 1903 edition of the Quax yearbook (page 48). At this time the house was home to Drake Chancellor William Bayard Craig.
This photo was taken from the 1927 Quax yearbook.During this time the house served as a women's dormitory.An illustration of the house dating from 1952. These two photos, dated 1958 and 1949, respectively, are of the house when it served as a home for the Chi Omega sorority house. Undated Photos
Official Page of Drake University Privacy & Usage Policy / Technical Support CenterDrake University, 2507 University Ave., Des Moines, IA 503111-800-44-DRAKE / (515) 271-2011 Copyright © 2017 Drake University. All rights reserved.